Collards & Kale
1 Bushel of Collard Greens (spine removed)
1 Bushel of Purple Kale (spine removed)
1 Bushel of Green Kale (spine removed)
4 Strips of Peppered Bacon
1 Onion (White, yellow or Red)
3 garlic cloves
2 tbs White Vinegar
3 cups of Chicken Stock (use enough to keep it moist – add when needed)
4 shots of Tabasco or a few pinches of cayenne pepper
1. Remove the spines from the greens and curl them up like a cigar. Cut thinly into ribbons.
2. Heat a large pot on medium heat.
3. Slice and dice onion, carrot, garlic and bacon and add to hot pan (until softened)
4. Add greens (spine removed, rolled and sliced into ribbons) Don’t worry it will look like you have too much but it will wilt down a lot.
5. Add two cups of chicken stock and cover pot for 30-40mins.
6. After 30/40 mins I then add my vinegar and heat(Tabasco)
Mine cook about an hour but I keep my eye on the moisture level and add chicken stock as needed. Beer might be a good option after the first two cups of chicken stock. Also adding in ChowChow or a relish is nice at the end.
Salt & Pepper & Spice accordingly