Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup
Today was the first chilly day of the fall with a docket of great college football games. A spicy soup seemed like the natural choice. Now I just make this up and don’t measure so I’ll do my best to recall how I made it. I will say, I love this stuff and ended up eating it several times over the weekend. It is GF, DF, Paleo but does contain some brown rice (optional).
Package of Organic Chicken Tenderloins
2 containers of Organic Chicken Broth
2 carrots diced
2 stalks of celery
1 Red Pepper
1 Green Pepper
1 Yellow onion (diced)
3 garlic cloves (pressed)
handful of cherry tomatoes
1/2 avocado topping
1 cup brown rice
2 tbs of Ancho Chili Powder
2 tsp of Paprika
1 tsp of cayenne pepper
1 tbs of Mexican Oregano
2 tbs of Happy Tomato Salsa
Kosher Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Go ahead and dice up all your veggies. For the jalapenos I use have as is and then I remove the seeds and spines of the larger half (stem to mid pepper).
2. In a oiled (olive oil and coconut oil) medium-high heated large pot sweat your onions, celery and carrots until the onion is soft and translucent. Add your peppers and garlic and stir carefully ensuring your garlic doesn’t burn.
3. Add your spices and stir for one minute and then add your broth and bring to boil and turn down to a simmer.
4. Cube your chicken and rice and let it simmer for an hour. Add some cherry tomatoes and Happy Tomato Salsa let it simmer for another 30mins. Finally serve with avocado.
Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
Jill is less of a fan of stinky green so I came up with a second side dish that would pair with the chicken and fancy her palette better. Now I have made and seen other recipes like this but they do contain dairy (cream or cream cheese) but we can not have that during our 21 day body makeover. So these could be better and creamier if you could add dairy. Again, it’s not a potato with lovely cheese but also sans the calories/lactose/flavor/starch.
Head of Cauliflower
1 tbs of Coconut Oil (unrefined)
1 tbs of Organic butter or ghee
6 Green onions
1-2 cloves of minced garlic
Kosher Salt (I tried to go very light so wont put an amount)
1. Cut your Cauliflower into smaller pieces and steam them until soft. Add to a food processor and pulse until smooth. Set aside.
2. Cut your onions and add to a medium low heated pot and cook with your oils until softened. Add your minced garlic and stir for a minute and now add your pureed cauliflower and stir until combined. Add your Kosher Salt and Pepper to taste.
Kale Chicken Balsamic Salad
Day 1 of my 21 day body makeover / detox http://www.21daybodymakeover.com
Quick Salad that meets the program’s requirements of veggies and lean organic protein with no sugar, fruit, dairy, nuts or gluten. Do I wish I had blue cheese or goat cheese in it with some nuts and fruits? Yes of course but gotta detox before the holidays.
Organic Free Range Chicken Breast
Organic unrefined Coconut Oil
Penzey’s Buttermilk Seasoning
Penzey’s Ruth Ann’s Muskego Ave Chicken and Fish Seasoning (lemon peel, K Salt, Pepper, garlic, onion)
Smidge of Kosher salt
2/3 Olive Oil
2/3 GF Balsamic Vinegar
Penzey’s Sunny Day in Paris Seasoning
Minced garlic clove
Kale mix with red cabbage
1. Mix your dressing and shake well. I use a garlic crusher to get it as fine as possible.
2. Chicken – non stick grill pan. I butterflied my chicken breast and then I tenderized with mallet to get it even. I then added some heated up coconut oil and seasoned with Penzey’s seasonings (see above). Grilled until done and set aside. I went ahead and made three breasts for the week.
3. Combine dress and eat. You could keep all three components separate to keep from getting mushy if you happen to be taking it to work.
Check out Penzey’s spices and order on line if you don’t have a store near you. http://www.penzeys.com